According to the report of the British Council
, there are several factors that are likely to impact the future of internationalization and alter the way how we live, work and interact with each other.
See the most illuminating trends that impacts not only your life, but the life of your children and even grandchildren:
- The youth population start declining due to the rising life expectancy and decreasing fertility rate.
- Access to primary education around the world is extending.
- Local governments are developing their national internationalization strategy that focuses on increasing trade and economic growth; and recruiting international students.
- Governmental funds and investments become key in improving education, however, the decreasing funding will negatively impact the national-scholarship systems.
- Industry and education cooperates more frequently. Companies often offer virtual international internships to find and hire skilled workforce.
- In the world of increased automation, there is a growing need for specific workplace-ready skills.
- English will continue to be the most attractive languages for international students, but the multilingual environment questions the continued prominence of the English language.
- Brand is not enough anymore. Students look for institutions with good ranking and reputation. The quality and value become important in the selection process.
- High-quality students, - experience is in the focus.
Gamification, digital literacy and interactive learning: Educational technology is 10th most key factor that shapes the education and the world.
The rapidly changing and developing educational technology
is changing the world we live and operate in. In some countries now, basic programming is a curriculum requirement, and is taught from the age of 5 years old.
It is now quite common that students use apps and games to learn and study. They provide an immersive 3-dimensional, interactive learning experience, enhancing skills and learning in most subjects and can provide practical knowledge. Virtual reality can demonstrate and share real-life experiences without physical presence.
Schools that wish to meet the requirements of industry must have digital literacy built into their curriculum. Apps, gamification and digital literacy are a good start; however new trends and advanced technologies such as AI will come along and radically alter 21st century education. The future of learning is about adapting to change.
European Association for International Education: 10 trends changing global higher education
Getting Smart: 5 Emerging Trends in 21st-Century Education